Saturday 11 July 2015

Lemon and Poppy Seed Donuts! (Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free, Vegan)


Hi guys!

This is a recipe that I adapted from a Jamie Oliver recipe to make it refined sugar free, gluten free and vegan. I wanted to make something that was more like a traditional sponge cake, as when you have a refined diet its difficult to get a soft sponge. I used donuts moulds to make them as I wanted to experiment, but if you don't have any you can use normal cupcake cases. You could also make this in a loaf tin and put a lemon drizzle over the top. 


You will need:
  • 200g melted coconut oil
  • 300g gluten free self raising flour
  • 200g agave nectar
  • 200g vanilla or plain soya yogurt 
  • zest of 3 lemons
  • 1/2 tsp xantham gum
  • splash of almond milk
  • poppy seeds
Preheat your oven to 190C. Begin by creaming together your coconut oil and agave nectar. Then add the rest of your liquids. Add your dry ingredients and mix every thing together, then add your poppy seeds! Add almond milk as needed if the mixture looks too dry. 

I baked mine in donut tins until they were golden brown on the top, and then topped them with my homemade nutella and flaked almonds. This recipe is great for lunchboxes or to take on the go as they aren't crumbly like a lot of gluten free cakes! 

Hope you enjoyed this post, remember to hashtag #MoosFood if you try any of my recipes!

Love Moo x

5 comments:

  1. Moo I have been experimenting with donuts too, when I get home I will share all my notes with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like your recipe, it was almost perfect! I think it may have needed a bit of sugar. Overall it was ok and yes fluffy so awesome job on that. If I were to add sugar how much would you recommend? Thanks so much!



    cara membuat donat kentang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did you add the agave? that should be enough to sweeten it. if it still wasn't sweet enough for you, i would make a cinnamon sugar to go on top my mixing 1/2 cup coconut sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon. hope that helped!

      Delete